When you start WinTVCap_GUI for the very first time or the mode is switched, you have to enter some settings.
Since version 2.9 you will be guided by the setup assistant. The setup assistent will welcome you at start:
If you click on the link you will go to this side. The setup assistant containts a small help to every step, so
the clicking on the link won't be necessary. If you click on Next >> the next step will be opened:
Here you have to select the wanted recording application. Choose An other recording application, if you don't have a
tv card that is supported by WinTVCap or GBRecord or if you simply want to use you current recording application. If
you click on Next >> the next step will be (WinTVCap needs a step less) for:
Here you have to enter the tv tuner names like explained on the right side.
An other recording application:
Here you have to add a recording application like explained on the right side.
After clicking on Next >> you will get the selection of the needed applications:
WinTVCap_GUI will try to find the applications, but if the found values are wrong or weren't found you can select it like explained on the right side. After a click on Next >> you get:
Here you have to enter your Windows user name and password like explained on the right side. After clicking on Next >> you get:
Here you will be informed about the successful setup and after clicking on Finsih the base setup of WinTVCap_GUI is done.
After the first start you may get something like this:
No need to panic everything is all right, you only have to add the channels in the WinTVCap.ini
under Presets. This
you can do with Options->Edit...->WinTVCap.ini
. You need to add the entries in the following style:
CNN = 50
ABC = 4
If you want to schedule tasks for WinTV2K, please let the channels in the WinTVCap.ini
have the same oder like in the Preset of WinTV2K
You have to find out the channel numbers by yourself, this you also can do with WinTVCap_GUI:
You can use the Tuning Assistant that comes with WinTVCap_GUI, to use it you have to set the InputType in the WinTVCap.ini/GBRecord.ini and the CountryCode in the
WinTVCap.ini/GBRecord.ini to your country, see below to find the right one.
And you have to choose the VideoLAN-Client first. If the VideoLAN-Client is known by WinTVCap_GUI you start the
Tuning Assistant with Tools->Tuning Assistant or with pressing U on your keyboard. You get the following dialog:
Select the range you want to scan and press OK.
Please acknowledge that the Tuning Assistant can be run only ones, after you close WinTVCap_GUI after running the Tuning Assistant the menu entry to start it will be gone. If you want to activate it again you can use
the GUI_Settings_Editor, to do that you have to change the setting tuning to true. The GUI_Settings_Editor you have to download first, it's on the Downloadpage. After you had installed it you reach it from WinTVCap_GUI Options->Settings Editor.
After pressing OK the channels are added to the list and the Tuning Mode starts, the first channel is be shown with VideoLAN-Client, with the buttons CH- and CH+ you cycle through the list.
Write down the numbers and the names of the channels that are showing a program for later adding to the WinTVCap.ini. When you had found all channels you can receive you close the VideoLAN-Client. With Options->Edit...->WinTVCap.ini or with pressing Ctrl+E you can open the WinTVCap.ini for adding the channels.
Important settings in the WinTVCap.ini
CountryCode = 49 // Microsoft defined
InputType = 0 // 0:Cable, 1:Antenna
StorageMode = 1 // 0:'My Documents\My Videos', 1:'DefaultDrive:\DefaultPath', 2:<emptiest drive>:\DefaultPath
DefaultDrive = 3 // 'DefaultDrive' for StorageMode=1. <0=A:, 1=B:, 2=C:, ... 25=Z:>
MinFreeSpace = 1200 // Minimum amount of free space (in Mb) requied for consideration in mode 2.
Retries = 5 // Number of seconds to keep trying to find a free board (useful for back-to-back recording with -board:0)
DefaultPath = "\"
The CountryCode = 49
is for Germany.
Look for your country code at http://www.unicode.org/onlinedat/countries.html
The settings DefaultDrive and DefaultPath are only read by WinTVCap_GUI at the first start and only if the StorageMode is 1, the informations are used to automatically generate the target path of the recording.
If you change these settings after the first start of WinTVCap_GUI that has no effect, if you want to change the target path you have to use the settings-window.
For GBRecord.exe: This are additional informations about the setup for GBRecord, the information above you should read too. The settings for GBRecord you have to do in a dummy WinTVCap.ini Options->Edit WinTVCap.ini and the direct.ini Options->Edit direct.ini.
In the WinTVCap.ini you have to set up the channels like you would do it for WinTVCap.
In the direct.ini you have to set up the DefaultCountryCode and the DefaultInputType.
If you made a mistake at the automatically setup of the card name or when your system configuartion changes you can change the card name with Options->Settings and the button Edit.
For examlpe, if you already own a PVR350 and have gotten a new PVR150 you have to set up every card/tuner in the system you want to use with GBRecord. For every card/tuner you have to use a new line. In the example you have to add the entry Hauppauge PVR150 to the cards.set. You have to pay attention that the order is like the cards/tuner in your system.
If you have set it up correct you get something like this:
To see the channel icons you have to add *.png or *.gif icons in the sub directory icons\24. It have to be 24x24 icons and have to have the same name like the channels in the WinTVCap.ini. In the
sub directory icons\64 you can add 64x64 icons, this will be used as channel icons in the Tasklist.
you can finish the configuration:
The settings under Basic settings have the following meaning:
- Show only error messages WinTVCap_GUI only shows status dialogs if an error, if this is selected.
- Demux with error correction PVAStrumento will fix all errors in the video stream and audio stream, if this is selected.
- Tasklist: End time position right The end time is shown in the right lower corner of a task, if this is selected.
- Show icons WinTVCap_GUI will try to load icons for each channel, if this is selected. How the icons are installed read at setup of the channel icons).
- Demux for Cuttermaran PVAStrumento will create index files for Cuttermaran and will name the audio stream how Cuttermaran it want's it, if this is selected.
- Activate jaLCD support WinTVCap_GUI will send status informations to jaLCD for showing on a LCD display, if this is selected.
- Standby instead of hibernate The computer will be send to standby instead of hibernate, if this is selected.
- Shutdown/Hibernate Here you set up in which power state the computer is set to after a time recording with WinTVCap_GUI.
- LookAndFeel Here you set up the used LookAndFeel. If the selected LookAndFeel is a JGoodies LookAndFeel you can configure the used theme with the Configure button.
The settings under Scheduler settings have the following meaning:
- Username: Here you have to enter your Windows user name. (COMPUTERNAME\Username)
- Password: Here you have to enter you Windows password. (You can configure Windows for auto login, so you don't have to enter the password every time when Windows starts. If you use Windows 2000 you can set this in the System settings. For Windows XP you can use the Tweak UI Powertoy.)
- Allow empty user password If you select this you can schedule recording even if you have no Windows password. For Windows XP: WinTVCap_GUI will try to disable the user password enforcement. If it didn't worked you get a warning message.
- Reboot before recording If you select this ReDeMPG will reboot Windows before a recording. (except an other recording is running, or the task don't allows reboot)
- Select Hibernate/Shutdown automatically If you select this the Hibernate/Shutdown checkbox in the scheduler dialog will be selected at startup.
- ReDeMPG always on top ReDeMPG is setted to always on top, if this is selected.
- Start ReDeMPG minimized If this is selected, ReDeMPG will be started minimized.
- Add timestamp to the file name If you select a timestamp will be added to the recording file name.
- Reboot if recording doesn't work (has highest priority) If this is selected ReDeMPG will check if the recording file exists and if it has a size bigger than 0 after 30 seconds of recording. If the file didn't exists or has the size 0 a reboot will be done (if Poweroff is known) and the recording will be restarted after the reboot.
- Priority expires after hours: Here you set up after what time the priority expires and the recording will be displaced by an other starting recording (even if it has an lower priority).
- Prestart time in minutes: Here you set up how many minutes before a recording the computer have to be waked.
Applications and directories
Here you set up the path to the needed applications and some other path values.
All done? Happy recording.